Having pet insurance in place allows you to budget monthly rather than having to cover the cost of unexpected veterinary bills.
But, with so many insurance providers out there, it can be a bit of a minefield.
Utilise our top tips to make sure you get the best cover for your furry friends.
1) Shop around: This might sound like an obvious one, but it can be tiring to look at so many. Take the time to gather as many quotes as you can.
2) Compare cover: It’s not just price that you should be looking out for. Many policies offer different levels of cover, so make sure you compare and choose your policy accordingly.
3) Excess fees: High excesses can often make a quote cheaper, although, this can make it more expensive long-term if you do ever have to make a claim.
4) Teeth and gums: Most policies don’t cover oral issues, so make sure you read the small print and keep your pets oral hygiene up to date.
5) Restrictions: As well as oral injury a lot of policies have restrictions based on age, previous illness.injury and even breed. Read up and make sure you select a policy that is right for your pet.
6) Budget: Set yourself a comfortable limit and don’t be afraid to pay a little bit extra for the right amount of cover. The alternative of having to choose between paying a very high vet bill or having your pet put to sleep doesn’t bare thinking about.
7) Let others do the work: Take advantage of cost comparison sites such as GoCompare or MoneySupermarket, as they will often search a lot of the major insurance providers and you can compare directly.
Selecting the right pet insurance doesn’t need to be a daunting task.
Take your time and select a plan that covers your pet and fits your budget - it can often save a lot of headaches later on!