Hot Weather Advice
In hot weather is it important that you take care of your pets and help them keep safe in the sun and in the heat.
Here are some of our top tips to help you keep them safe
- Walk your dog when it is cooler, either early morning or later in the evening. Check the heat of the pavement you are walking on. Hold your hand to it to at least 5 seconds. If it’s too hot for your hand, it will be too hot for your dog’s paws
- Ensure you don’t over exercise your dog
- If your dog wants to swim, that’s ok, but ensure the water is safe for them, with no strong currents and don’t allow them to ingest to much water
- Ensure your pets have access to plenty of fresh water, at home and if on a walk
- Make sure your pets have access to shade if they are in the garden
- If you have a white dog or cat, apply sun cream to exposed areas, such as tips of ears or around the nose, to avoid sunburn
- Keep an eye out for signs of heatstroke, such as excessive panting and drooling, vomiting, lethargy or collapse and a high heart rate
- Never leave your dog or cat unattended in a hot car, even if you are just popping into a shop for a couple of minutes. This can prove fatal for any animal in a short space of time
- Don’t forget to look after yourself too
Enjoy the sun and stay safe everyone.